Original pen & ink rendering. Located just south of Bass Harbor, Maine, in Acadia National Park, the lighthouse is owned by the Coast Guard, with the dwelling being used by Coast Guard personnel. The grounds are open to the public, however, the dwelling/tower are closed. The lantern was first lit on September 1, 1858. The tower is only 32 feet high, but its light is 56 feet above sea level, thanks to the granite bluffs on which it stands.