Original pen & ink rendering. Towering above the western-most point in Oregon, 9 miles north of Port Orford off U.S. 101, it is the oldest standing lighthouse on the Oregon coast. It was commissioned in 1870 to aid shipping generated by gold mining and lumber industry. Clifftop location is 245 feet above the ocean, and the tower rises an additional 59 feet. Automated equipment was installed by U.S. Coast Guard in 1980.