Original pen & ink rendering. Located 6 miles south of Reedsport above the entrance to Winchester Bay and adjacent to Umpqua Lighthouse State Park. An earlier structure, commisioned on the north spit of the river in 1857, was the first lighthouse sited on Oregon coast. It fell into the river in 1861 after sand eroded under the foundation. Current structure is identical to Heceta Head Lighthouse, with a 65-foot tower, and overlooks sand dunes from 165 feet elevation on south side of bay. Light was illuminated in 1894, and emits distinctive red and white automated flashes.